Subject:   Procedure for Determination of Error of a Performance Grade
Guideline/Procedure for AR#:


Date Effective:   04/01/1998; 10/05/07

Procedure: Determination of College Error of a Performance Grade 

1.     If a student has questions about a final course grade, the student must contact the instructor within three months after the grade was awarded.  If the student cannot contact the instructor, contact the department chair.  (If the department chair is also the instructor who awarded the grade, the appropriate dean shall act in place of the department chair.)  If the grade awarded was not the grade the instructor intended, the instructor will initiate a Grade Change Request Form to correct the error.  If the grade awarded was the grade the instructor intended, but the student believes there was an error, the student may request a “Request for a Formal Review of a Final Course Grade.” 

2.     A “Request for a Formal Review of a Final Course Grade” may be submitted only if a student is unable to resolve the dispute either with the course instructor or with the assistance of the department chair.  Students are encouraged to make an appointment with an ACC counselor to discuss the process before preparing a formal request. 

3.     In order to begin this process, the student must submit the written request including evidence of college error and relevant supporting documentation to the department chair within three months after the grade was awarded.  The department chair will forward the request to the dean who oversees that department.  Late requests or deadline extensions will be approved only if there are documented extenuating circumstances. 

4.        The dean will give the instructor a copy of the written request and ask the instructor to provide a written response.  The dean will give the student a copy of the instructor’s written statement.  If the college no longer employs the instructor who awarded the grade, the dean will make a diligent effort to locate the instructor to obtain a written statement.  (If the instructor is unavailable, the dean, in consultation with the department chair, will give the student a written statement containing all relevant information available to them.)  During the process of writing and exchanging statements, the instructor may choose to change the grade or the student may withdraw the request for review.  If neither of these occurs, the dean shall appoint a three-member faculty Grade Review Committee to consider the request.  

5.        The Grade Review Committee will consist of three members, including a required representative outside the discipline.  None of the student’s current instructors, at the time the committee meets, will be on the committee.  The student may exercise the option to have a Student Government Association representative participate on the committee.  If possible, one of the committee members will be an adjunct faculty in the discipline.  The committee members will determine the steps they take in reviewing the request.  There is no requirement for the student to appear before the committee, but the student may request to do so.  The student will not be present when the committee considers the request.  

6.        The Grade Review Committee will meet in private to protect the confidentiality of all student records.  Only committee members will be present during committee deliberations.  The dean will explain the committee’s decision in writing to the student, the instructor, and the department chair.  The committee’s decision is final.  If the decision requires a grade change, the dean will initiate the paperwork to make the grade change.


President/CEO:   Stephen B. Kinslow Date:  03/06/08