Faculty Training For Advising:
An Overview of Web Resources
After completing this workshop, the trainee should be able to:
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of full-time faculty, counselors, academic advisors, and students in the advising process.
- Locate and access the Web resources available to faculty and staff on the Student Advising Resources Web site: http://www.austincc.edu/support/facstaff/facultyadvising.php
- Locate a student's TSI status using the Faculty Advising function of the Faculty Online Services Web site and refer the student appropriately, if necessary.
- Locate a student's academic standing status using the Faculty Advising function of the Faculty Online Services Web site and refer the student appropriately, if necessary.
- Locate the degree audit and degree plan to advise students who are majors in the faculty member's academic discipline or workforce program in course selection to satisfy the degree plan for the student's academic discipline or workforce program.
- Locate the transfer plans or 2+2 plans to advise students on transfer to a four-year college or university, if appropriate.
- Document advising sessions using the Student Advising Form.
This tutorial contains flash movies, some of which are interactive simulations. The simulations will give you directions on where to click. You will see the following within these simulations:
This tutorial works best in Internet Explorer 4.0 and higher as well as Netscape Navigator 6.0 or higher. You will also need the Macromedia Flash Player plugin for your web browser. If you have the player installed, you should see a blinking square.
If you do not see the square above, you will need to install the plugin. You can find the plugin here.
To work through this tutorial, read through each page and then click the Next button at the bottom of each page. You can also navigate to any page by click the topic at the bottom of the page.
Once you have completed the tutorial, you will be directed to an online quiz. If you complete the quiz with a score of 80% or higher, you will receive 1.5 hours of professional development for this course. Please allow one week for confirmation.