Unit 6 Objectives - Nucleic Acid Extraction Methods
- State the purpose of extraction methods.
- List 4 samples from with nucleic acids are routinely isolated in the
- State how purification of DNA is accomplished.
- List the BASIC steps for DNA isolation using organic, inorganic and
solid phase isolation techniques.
- List the BASIC steps for total RNA isolation using organic and polyA
RNA isolation techniques.
- State the two dyes used for detecting RNA and DNA for electrophoresis.
- State the 2 optical density (OD) readings used to determine quantitiy
and quality of DNA and RNA.
- Given the OD reading and dilution calculate the quantity of DNA or
- Given the OD reading at 260nm and 280nm determine the purity of DNA
- State the significance of high and low 260nm/280nm ratios.
- State the principle of fluorometry as it relates to DNA anlaysis.
*Formulas may be written down for use during the exam.
Last Update: March 6, 2015
Web Author: Terry Kotrla, MS, MT(ASCP)BB
Copyright ©2007 by Terry Kotrla - All Rights Reserved