Submitted by victoria.garza on Thu, 12/17/2020 - 12:39pm
As 2020 comes to a close, we remember the Austin Community College District employees we lost this year. ACC faculty and staff are encouraged to share their memories in the comments below.
- Dr. Marla K. Dean, Drama adjunct professor, started her career at ACC on August 3, 2009, and was an integral member of the Adjunct Faculty Association.
- James "Red" Wassenich was a librarian and professor who retired from ACC in 2016 but continued to work hourly as a reference librarian. In the community, Red is known for having created the slogan "Keep Austin Weird." He also wrote two books about Austin.
- Christopher Carver, Emergency Medical Service Professions (EMSP) full-time faculty, taught at ACC for 22 years. He is also a former Health Sciences associate dean.
- Professor Patricia L. Hatcher taught Humanities at ACC since 2011. She previously taught at Richland Community College, Collin County Community College, and Dallas College El Centro Campus.
- Adjunct professor Uvaldo (Valdo) Perales began his employment at ACC on August 28, 1989. He taught jazz dance, stretch/flex, cardio conditioning, and weight training.
- Rosalind "Roz" F. Cunningham was a professor/counselor with ACC for 35 years. She worked at the Rio Grande Campus and most recently at the Eastview campus.
- Paul Johnson began his employment with ACC on December 3, 2007, as Multimedia Supervisor and beginning September 1, 2010, as Multimedia Manager. Paul's colleagues created a memorial for him online.
- Charles J. Riordan was a Senior IT Technician in the IT department. He began his employment at ACC in November 2019.
- Rhonda K. Little began her employment at ACC on January 13, 2013, as an Administrative Assistant III and then beginning on December 1, 2017, as an Executive Assistant.
- Mathematics Adjunct Professor John Viviano Garcia began his employment at ACC on August 28, 2000.
- Darrell W. Langford joined ACC in 2006 and was a specialist in the Records and Information Management Department.
- Ricky "Ricky" Lynn Collis served as an adjunct faculty member in the Government Department for 35 years.
- Dr. Philip M. Cochran served as a faculty member at ACC for the past 33 years. He taught History at the Rio Grande Campus and most recently at the South Austin Campus.
- English Professor Lee M. Moore began his employment with ACC on August 26, 1996, as an Assistant Professor in the English department.
- David C. Moore was a police officer with the Austin Community College District Police Department. He began his employment with ACC on March 15, 2007.
ACC would like to remind employees that grief and loss counseling is available through the Employee Assistance Program administered by Deer Oaks. Deer Oaks provides free and confidential assessment, short-term counseling, prevention, education, and referral services for employees and their dependents. Trained counselors are available 24/7, 365 days of the year to help cope with life's stressors, including grief and loss. Employees may have up to eight confidential sessions with a counselor at no cost. Deer Oaks can also assist with a wide range of personal needs including mental health counseling, legal, financial, adoption, addiction issues, tobacco cessation, and more. EAP services are available to staffing table employees, faculty, and adjunct faculty. Please contact the Human Resources Benefits Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.