The history of Highland is coming to life. This week Austin Community College District (ACC) installed a new wall mural honoring the historical significance of this land in Central Texas. The work is expected to be completed today.
Where: Paseo at ACC Highland Campus (6101 Highland Campus Drive)
What: The historical marker tells the story of the site and how it has been used over the years until being converted into a college campus for ACC. The installation will be 57 feet wide by 12 feet high.
Highland Property History:
The St. John Regular Missionary Baptist Association was a historically African American Baptist congregation that purchased 306 acres of land to establish an orphan home and school in 1909. The building burned down after being opened and reconstructed with additional buildings in 1915. The site, during its peak, served 15,000 people and hosted guest lecturers including Booker T. Washington. During the Great Depression, the school began to decline and eventually closed in 1942. In 1956, the main building was destroyed by a mysterious fire. The land was sold to developers and became the Highland Mall in 1971. ACC purchased the property in 2011. The complete history will be shown through pictures and words on the ACC Highland Campus.
The historical mural was designed and created in partnership with BGK Architects and Perkins Will.