Campus Electronic Security: Questions and Answers

Why do I need an employee identification card?

To enhance the level of safety and security on all campuses, ACC distributes Employee Identification Cards to all employees. Each identification card will have a photo of the employee on the front. The back of the ID will have an electronic strip with information containing the staff ID number, library bar code data, and the card issue number. Additional reasons why ACC employees are required to have an ID: For identification purposes at cashier’s offices, to check out items at the library, discounts at local retail locations and for use in campus duplication office.

How do I get an employee ID?

Visit the HR offices at Highland Business Center to obtain an Employee ID. Campus Police and other specialized IDs are issued through the Campus Electronic Security Office.  Please contact to make an appointment.  Hours: M-F, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

What do I need in order to get an employee ID?

You will need your ACCeID in order to get an ID and you must be in Datatel. If you have not been loaded into Datatel, please contact your supervisor for more information.

Where do I get an employee ID?

You may obtain your ACC Employee ID card through the Human Resources Department at Highland Business Center. Hours and contact information can be found at

Is an employee ID and access card the same thing?

Yes, they are the same; however, access is not automatically granted. There is a separate process to obtain access. In order to request access, please complete the Electronic Access Control form which is campus specific. These forms can be found on our web page by clicking on the’ Forms’ link to the left. Once your application is approved, your employee ID will be programmed with the access for which you are approved. 

If I request access how do I know if I am approved? How will I know if access has been enabled?

Once your application is approved, your employee ID will be programmed with the access for which you are approved. The Campus Electronic Security Office will send an email notification to you and your supervisor, once access has been activated.

What should I do if I lose my employee ID?

Please report lost or stolen employee IDs as soon as you can. Report your missing employee ID to for immediate deactivation and replacement.

What is the Supervisor’s role in the access control process?

Supervisors are responsible for:

  • Providing their approval
  • Ensuring employees wear their badges visibly when on campus. 
  • Retrieving access card when an employee leaves ACC
  • Contacting the Campus Electronic Security Office to disable an access card when an employee leaves ACC
  • Addressing employee(s) regarding non compliance with Campus Electronic Security procedures or misuse of access card
  • Providing Hourly Pay Assignment start dates and end dates on Hourly Access request for.