Round Rock Campus
In 2012 the Round Rock Campus was awarded LEED NC (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design New Construction) Silver certification by the U.S. Green Building Council for sustainable design and construction principles. Some features include 14% Solar Energy, 25% Energy Saving, Green Cleaning, Integrated Pest Manage, Green Education, 22% Recyled Materials, 51% Regional Material, 89% FSC Certified Wood, 79% Construction Diversion, 43% Open Space, 5% Green Car Parking, 25% Water-Saving Irrigation, and 33% Water-Saving Plumbing.
Rio Grande Building 3000 Renovation
As part of the 50th annual Preservation Awards, the Heritage Society of Austin presented the Austin Community College District the Adaptive Use award, in recognition of the college’s renovation of Building 3000 at Rio Grande Campus.
The building originally served as the gymnasium of Austin High School, opening in 1929. Rio Grande Campus occupies what was the main portion of the school.
Rio Grande Parking Garage
ACC's Rio Grande parking garage received a 3-star rating from Austin Energy's Green Building Program due to its use of eco-conscious construction materials, water and energy conservation, environmental quality, and waste diversion during the construction process. Here are some factors that make the Rio Grande Garage green:
● 80% Construction Waste Diversion - this includes demolition debris, scrap, damaged or spoiled materials, and packaging material
● 90% Locally Harvest Materials - construction materials used in this project was sourced from within Texas, reducing transportation expenses, fuel consumption, and pollution
● 40% Recycled Material - some material selected for this project came from fly ash, which is waste material leftover when coal is burned to make electricity
● Heat Island Effect-Reducing Surface - surface materials are reflective to reduce the amount of heat absorbed and radiated by the garage
● 80% Water Consumption Reduction - potable water required for irrigation is reduced due to the use of native and drought-tolerant landscaping, a high-efficiency watering system, and decomposted granite gravel xeriscaping
● Low Volatile Organic Compound Coating - use of low-VOC building materials and paints to enhance occupant health
● Daylighting - strategically placed glass reduces the need for electric lighting and saves energy
ACC started Green Cleaning practices in 2010. While occasional special cleaning might be necessary, our ordinary cleaning will be maintained to a higher and safer standard.
Custodial services are maintained at the minimum level of APPA II with environmentally preferable products including:
● GreenSeal Certified Cleaning Chemicals
● EPA Preferred Disinfectan
● Reusable Microfiber
● Touchless Foam Dispenser - uses 1/2 the soap of conventional soap dispenser
● Touchless Paper Towel Dispenser - saves up to 30% of paper towels and uses 100% recycled paper
● Coreless Multipack Toilet Paper Dispenser
ACC’s Integrated Pest Management (IPM) system provides guidelines to enhance and protect the ecosystems and biodiversity across the district. ACC minimizes the use of chemical controls by monitoring pest populations and using least toxic measures first.