Your greeting is very important as it can be the first contact people have with you or your company. Voice mail is only impersonal if you make it that way. One way to help increase the effectiveness of voice mail is to change your greeting at least weekly if not daily.
Your greeting should let the caller know who they have reached, what is the persons status ( out of the office, in the office but in meetings etc), when the caller can expect to receive a call back and instructions on what to do if the call is urgent.
Here are a few sample voice mail greetings:
- Hello, this is (your name ). I'm in today but unable to take your call now. But if you leave your name, number and a detailed message after the tone, I'll return your call as soon as possible. If you require personal assistance during regular business hours, please press 0. Thank you.
- Hello, this is (your name ). I'm out of the office today but will be checking for messages. Please leave your name, number and a detailed message after the tone. I'll return your call as soon as possible.
- This is (your name ). Thank you for calling. I am unable to take your call at this time. Please leave a message after the tone and I will return your call as soon as I can. If you need immediate assistance, press 0 to reach my secretary. Thank you.
- This is (your name ). I'm out of town today but if you need to call me I can be reached at XXX-XXXX before noon and at XXX-XXXX after 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. If it is not urgent leave a message and I will call you tomorrow when I return.
- Hello, this is (your name ). I'm away from my desk right now. I can be reached in the 5th floor meeting room, local XXXX if it is urgent or leave a message after the tone and I'll call you as soon as possible.
- Hello, this is (your name ). I'm on vacation for 2 weeks and will be returning on August 27. Please call XXXX in my absence and she / he will be pleased to help you.