November 7, 2003
1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
The task force meeting met from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
and the SWOT analysis followed from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm (required for program
Announcements -- Recognitions: Dolores Segura
- Service awards -- One year ACC pins were awarded to
Brian Yansky and Deanna Johnson at the task force meeting.
- Brian Yansky, author of My Road Tip To The Pretty
Girl Capital Of The World, signed two copies of his book. Ann Palmer
and Mary Leonard were the recipients of the autographed copies that were
given as door prizes.
- Kevin Temple of Pearson Allyn & Bacon Pearson Longman
Publishing Company provided lunch for the Task Force meeting.
- Sibyl Noack was recognized for her award at CASP,
College of Academic Service Programs, as Developmental Educator of the Year
for the state of Texas.
Informational items: Department Chair meeting
-- copies of the information presented at the October Department Chair meeting
were presented tot he task force members as well as a copy of the latest
administrative rule on Faculty Credentials.
- Texas Success Initiative -- Mary Leonard, Chair of
the TSI task force, gave an overview of the latest information on TSI.
Students that are required to complete TSI (formerly TASP) must meet with an
advisor or counselor before the spring semester to develop a plan. It
was recommended that faculty announce in their classes that students should
see an advisor or counselor to check their TSI staus.
- Unit plans for 2003- 2004 Goals and Objectives --
Reading and Writing curriculum committees must develop unit plans for the
new academic year and complete the report of the current unit plans on-line
by November 26, 2003.
AD HOC Committees
- Developmental Reading, Writing: Cathy Smith and
Laura Ore gave an update on curriculum matters and noted that the minutes
are on the web. Both groups are working on the program review.
- Adjunct Hiring: A freeze is in effect for hiring
reading adjunct faculty and hiring of writing adjunct faculty will continue.
- Assessment / Advising: Sibyl Noack and Caryn
Newburger asked the group to approve the change of language on the current
administrative rule regarding TASP. The changes reflect the new TSI
plan. An example of a student plan for TSI was given to the faculty.
- Textbooks / Budget: All textbooks have been
ordered for the spring semester. Our budget is tight this year and
everyone must monitor the use of hourly money.
- January 8, 2004 -- EVC Room TBA 1:30 to 3:30 pm
- March 26, 2003 -- TBA
SWOT Analysis began at 2:00 pm and the community
representatives received small tokens of appreciation for their participation.
Ziv Shafir from the Office of Instructional Effectiveness served as the
Thee meeting ended at 3:45 pm.