Verification is a process that requires ACC to collect additional documents to ensure your FAFSA information is accurate. If additional documents are required to process your financial aid application, we will contact you by ACCmail and on Self-Service Financial Aid.
IMPORTANT: Please ONLY submit documents if they are requested by the Financial Aid Office.
Respond promptly to requests
Your application will not be reviewed until your file is complete. You have up to 120 days after your last day of class for an award year or until the deadline published by the U.S. Department of Education, whichever is earlier, to submit verification requirements.
Common Questions About Verification
- Where can I submit documents?
- Students can submit and upload required financial aid documents online. Visit Self-Service to review your missing documents and submit required information.
NOTE: You will be directed to ACC’s StudentForms portal after accessing your information in Self-Service. If this is your first time visiting StudentForms, you will need to create an account. The information you enter to create your account must match what you put on your FAFSA. Learn more at austincc.edu/faforms.
- Will verification change my financial aid award?
- Your financial aid eligibility can change if the verification process requires corrections on your FAFSA. Our office will notify you via ACCmail if there are any changes in your aid eligibility. View award changes in Self-Service .
- How can I get tax records from the IRS?
- If you are required to submit a tax return, you can either:
Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to update your information through the FAFSA.
If you are not eligible to use the data retrieval tool, you can submit a signed copy of your original tax return (e.g. 1040 and all applicable schedules) or request a tax return transcript from the IRS online or by phone at 1-800-908-9946.
If you did NOT work and did not file a tax return:
Submit a Verification of Non-Filing Letter. You can request this letter from the IRS online.
If you DID work but did not file a tax return you must submit:
1. A copy of every W-2 or 1099-MISC received from all employers. If you did not retain a copy or your W-2’s or 1099-MISC, you can request a “Wage & Income Transcript” from the IRS online.
2. A Verification of Non-Filing Letter. Visit the IRS online to request the Verification of Non-Filing Letter.
If you filed an amended tax return (Form 1040X), you must submit:
1. A signed copy of your IRS Form 1040X (your amended tax return).
2. A signed copy of your original tax return (e.g. 1040 and all applicable schedules) or request a tax return transcript from the IRS online or by phone at 1-800-908-9946.
If you filed an income tax return for a foreign country, you must provide:
1. A signed copy of the original foreign tax return.
2. A signed copy of the return translated into English and converted to U.S. dollars. The translation is NOT required to be endorsed by a licensed translator that charges a fee for translation services.