Travel Outside U.S.

Current/former student registration begins October 18. Register Now.

If you plan to travel outside the U.S. and return in F-1 status, you must have the following documents upon re-entry:

  • Valid F-1 visa.
  • Valid passport with an expiration date that is at least six months beyond the date you want to re-enter the U.S.
  • Valid travel endorsement signature on page 2 of the I-20. Travel endorsement signature is valid for one year form the date of signature.
  • For OPT students, the above documents plus the OPT EAD and proof of employment.

Visa renewal

In order to enter the U.S. you must have a valid, unexpired F-1 visa in your passport. Once inside the U.S., maintenance of the I-20 and F-1 visa status takes over. If you are an F-1 student and complying with the regulations to maintain your visa status, you are eligible to remain in the U.S. until you reach the end date on your I-20 or until the end of your academic program, whichever comes first. The expiration of the visa in your passport has no effect. Once you leave the U.S., however, you will need a valid, unexpired visa to return.

Authorized Early Withdrawal

If you will be leaving the U.S. during or after the semester, before the program end date on your I-20, you must inform the International Student Office. View the required steps to request an Authorized Early Withdrawal.

Study Abroad

ACC’s International Programs Office works with international students interested in Study Abroad classes. Speak with an International Programs representative who will provide a list of required documents and procedures. Keep in mind that you may require a visa to study abroad in a different country. Most countries require you to have a valid F-1 visa in your passport before they will issue you a visa to visit their country to study abroad