If your native language is not English, you must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) by the application deadline.
The code number for submitting TOEFL scores to ACC is 6759. There is no institutional code for the IELTS examination. Test takers should provide the following address to have their official score sent to ACC:
Austin Community College
Attn: International Student Office
1020 Grove Blvd
Austin, Texas 78741
A TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based test) or 79 (online test), or an Academic IELTS overall band score of 6.5 required for admissions with the F-1, F-2, J-1, and J-2 visa types.
TOEFL/IELTS testing information
Information concerning test dates, test centers, and procedures is available from the TOEFL website and IELTS website.
Intensive English Program (IEP) Applicants
Students applying for the Intensive English Program (IEP) are not required to submit the TOEFL or IELTS exam, and will be required to take the ESOL assessment at ACC upon arrival.
Test alternative for other visa types
Applicants with A, E, G, H, I, K, L, O, R, TD, TN, U, or V visa types may choose to take the ESOL assessment at ACC instead of the TOEFL or IELTS test.
You may be exempt from the English proficiency assessment if:
- You are an F-1 visa student seeking to co-enroll at ACC while attending another university.
- You are applying to the Intensive English Program (IEP).
- You have attended a U.S. High School and have placed at college level on the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) assessment test or have completed the SAT, ACT, or other approved assessment exam with the minimum score needed for TSI exemption. See Test Score Exemptions list. Due to immigration regulations, this exemption doesn’t not apply to F-1 students.
- You have graduated from college or university, in the United States, with an associate's degree or higher.
- If you have completed college or university academic level coursework, in the United States, but have not obtained a degree:
- As part of the application process the ACC International Student Office will review your uploaded unofficial college or university transcript to determine if the English proficiency requirement can be waived.
You are exempt from the English proficiency assessment if your home country is one of the following countries whose native language is English:
- American Samoa
- Antigua & Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Canada (except Quebec)
- Cayman Islands
- Grand Cayman
- New Zealand
- St. Helena
- Saint Kitts & Nevis
- Santa Lucia
- Saint Vincent & the
- Sierra Leone
- Turks & Caico Islands
- U.S. Pacific Trust
- United Kingdom
- Virgin Islands