The Men of Color programs will provide consistent individualized academic support to increase student success for all participants. Often students who are not engaged, and encouraged to achieve high academic success early in their college career will be at a greater disadvantage to meet their educational goals. Additional support will be provided from a network of Faculty and Staff from the institution, which will positively impact the learning experience of our students.
The Men of Color program will provide consistent individualized academic support to increase student success for all participants.
Often students who are not engaged, and encouraged to achieve high academic success early in their college career will be at a greater disadvantage to meet their educational goals.
Additional support will be provided from a network of Faculty and Staff from the institution, which will positively impact the learning experience of our students.
Men of Color Programs
The Men of Color (MOC) programs are designed to provide institutional support and encourage success for men of color. The Men of Color program is designed to recruit, support, and retain Men of Color males attending Austin Community College (ACC). The MOC program will provide a variety of opportunities for participants to succeed at ACC.
Join us at an upcoming roundtable meeting.
Men of Color Programs include:
Men of Distinction for African-American males
Men of Distinction promotes leadership and success among African-American men attending ACC.
Students new to ACC or who have completed fewer than 20 semester credit hours are invited to participate. Students with more than 20 credit hours may participate if recommended by a counselor or advisor.
Men of Color participants benefit from:
- Enrollment into a unique section of the course Transition to College (SDEV 0111)
- Assistance with applying for financial aid and scholarships
- Enhancement of critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Increasing levels of comfort in challenging environments
- Peer-to-peer support from experienced African-American male students
- Strong network support from ACC and the Austin community
- A competitive co-curriculum for future educational and employment endeavors
- Statewide conferences and leadership training
- Social networking, event planning opportunities, and more
- Eligibility for the Men of Color Scholarship
Men of Excellence for Latino males
The Latino mentoring group, Men of Excellence, formerly Men of ACCión, supports ACC's mission to promote student success through encouraging conversations with new and current Latino male students. Mentors help connect students with support services at each campus and build a network of support to achieve their goals.
Join us at an upcoming roundtable meeting to discuss building relationships to enhance your success in college. Refreshments are provided.
Men of Honor for Asian-American males
BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATING IN THE MOC PROGRAMS:
- Personal Tutoring (Math, English)
- Develop and attend workshops (Money/Time Management, Financial Aid, Career Exploration)
- Attend leadership conferences (Local, State, and National)
- Attend and develop extracurricular events and activities (intramural sports, community service)
- Apply for Men of Color Scholarship (sponsored by Enrollment Management)
- Possible job opportunities as a tutor or hourly employee at ACC
- Attend Connected Roundtable mentoring lunch sessions
- Men of Color Advisory Committee provides connections at each campus for direct support and resources
- Enroll in Transition-to-College courses designed for Men of Color students (HUDE)