In 2013, Austin Community College will reach a special milestone – 40 years of educating and training people for rewarding careers and producing professionals, technicians, educators, and first-responders that benefit all of Central Texas.
Austin Community College opened on September 17, 1973, with a mission to provide access to an affordable, quality college education to anyone who seeks it. What started as an extraordinary vision among community leaders and education pioneers is today the primary gateway to higher education and career training in Central Texas.
In 1972, residents of Austin ISD voted to create ACC. The following fall, the region's new community college opened its doors to1,726 students. Today, ACC is the #1 college choice for area high school grads.
Then and Now
In 1972, residents of Austin ISD voted to create Austin Community College . The college opened its doors on September 17, 1973. Since its first class, ACC has evolved into a major institution of higher education that serves more than 86,000 unique students each year through its credit programs and Continuing Education Division.
|Then (Fall 1973)||Now|
|One campus (Ridgeview)||Nine campuses (+2 under construction)|
|177 faculty and staff||5,000 full-time and part-time employees|
|1,726 students||43,780 students|
|30 programs||235+ programs|
|$7 per hour tuition (in-district)||$67 per hour tuition (in-district)|
Presidents of ACC
- Dr. Richard Rhodes 2011-present
- Dr. Stephen B. Kinslow 2005-2011
- Dr. Stephen B. Kinslow (Interim) 2005
- Dr. Robert Aguero 2004-2005
- Dr. Stephen B. Kinslow (Interim) 2004
- Dr. Richard Fonté 1997 - 2004
- Ms. Janis M. Koenig (Interim) 1997
- Dr. Hosni Nabi (Interim) 1996 - 1997
- Dr. William E. Segura 1993 - 1996
- Mr. Roland K. Smith (Interim) 1992 - 1993
- Dr. Daniel D. Angel 1985 - 1992
- Mr. Roland K. Smith (Interim) 1984
- Dr. Brent Knight (Interim) 1983 - 1984
- Mr. Roland K. Smith (Interim) 1983
- Dr. Cecil L. Groves 1977 - 1983
- Mr. Marvin D. Shwiff (Interim) 1977
- Dr. Thomas Hatfield 1973 - 1977