Back to Top
Back to Top

Addictions Counseling

Back to Top

Helping people lift themselves out of crisis: All in a day's work

Successful addictions counselors feel strongly about helping people. They are patient, empathetic, and stable. When chemical dependencies damage people's lives, professional counselors help find a path to recovery. They work one-on-one with patients or in groups to identify negative behaviors and establish healthy habits. As part of a treatment team that includes social workers, psychologists, and other healthcare professionals, addictions counselors work in outpatient and inpatient settings and may interact with affected family members. ACC offers an Associate of Applied Science degree in Addictions Counseling and three-semester certificates in Addictions Counseling and Addictions Counseling in the Criminal Justice System.

What are my degree and certificate options?

The Associate of Applied Science Degree in Addictions Counseling fulfills the educational and practicum requirements for the Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC) certification through the Texas Department of State Health Services. Students are prepared for careers in counseling and direct care work in the addiction field. In addition to general academic courses, students receive intensive training in social work, psychology, and substance abuse/addiction treatment.

The Addiction Counseling Certificate prepares students for careers in counseling and direct care while partially fulfilling the educational requirements for certification by the Texas Department of State Health Services as a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC).

The Addictions Counseling in the Criminal Justice System Certificate is designed for students who wish to become a Certified Criminal Justice Professional (CCJP), which is a primary employment standard for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

How long will it take to earn a degree or certificate?

At least two years of study is required to complete the associate degree program. Most full-time students require one year to complete the certificate programs.

Where can I work with this education?

Students are trained to work in residential and outpatient substance abuse treatment programs. Other employment settings include public health agencies, jails and prisons, youth services, hospitals, and homeless shelters.

How do I get started at ACC and where can I find out about financial aid?

*Students preparing for university transfer should consult the department chair before registering.

*Ability to pass criminal background check is required for virtually all employment in this field although having a criminal record does not keep a person from working in this profession.

Visit ACC's future student's page for admissions information. The financial aid page has links for eligibility and applications.

Back to Top
Back to Top

Back to Top