Back to Top
Back to Top

Business, Government & Technical Communications

Back to Top

Translating science-speak, tech jargon, and legalese into plain English

Technical communicators translate complicated concepts into terms everyone can understand. If you excel in English, hold an underutilized writing degree, or just have a knack for explaining the complex, a career as a technical writer or information specialist may be for you. Technical communicators work alongside scientists, engineers, and government officials in a wide range of fields. Whether you're changing careers, beginning your education, or are just seeking sharper professional writing skills, ACC has the courses you need.

What skills can I gain?

Students develop professional writing techniques while studying publishing and graphics software used to create technical documents for print and websites. Hands-on projects help students build expertise interpreting administrative rules, writing guidance literature for legislation, and producing technical reports on a wide range of topics such as the environment, alternative energy, and public-health issues.

The Business and Government Communications specialization focuses on legislation, administrative rules, and guidance documents, as well as drafting grant and new-business proposals, and presenting statistical data in text and in via charts and graphs.

Technical Communications students practice developing new-product documentation in the tech industry, writing online helps and instructive websites, and creating technical reports and other documents for business and government.

How long will it take to earn a degree or certificate, and what's the difference?

Most students require at least two years to complete an associate degree, which includes general academic classes in addition to dedicated technical communication courses.

The certificates typically require at least one year of study and include only courses related to technical communications. For that reason, people already working in the field or individuals wanting to enter the workforce as soon as possible often prefer them. Certificates can also be the foundation for an associate degree, with all classes transferring toward the degree requirements.

*A non-credit Continuing Education certificate is also available for working professionals or students who already hold a four-year degree. For more information, please visit:

Where can I work with this education?

Technical writers employed across a wide range of businesses and throughout government. For example, instructors in this program currently hold positions at places like IBM, Dell, Tivoli, Compaq, National Instruments, the Texas Attorney General's Office, and the Texas Commission for Environmental Quality

How do I get started at ACC and where can I find out about financial aid?

Visit ACC's future student's page for admissions information. The financial aid page has links for eligibility and applications.

Back to Top
Back to Top

Back to Top