Back to Top
Back to Top

Land Surveying Technology & Geomatics

Back to Top

Map out a new career that's focused on the future & always on the move

Land surveyors map the Earth's surface to show topographical features and boundaries of property or political borders. Surveyor crews work in the field measuring elevations and contours on or below the surface. Some may also work indoors, using CAD (computer aided drafting) and processing survey data. ACC can provide the expert training you need to join the workforce as a surveying technician. Associate degree students receive preparation for state certification as a Surveyor in Training.

The following degree and certificate options are available:

  • Associate of Applied Science in Land Surveying Technology/Geomatics
  • Certificate in Land Surveying Technology/Geomatics

What skills can I gain?

Students acquire the fundamental skills required to work as land surveying & geomatics technicians, including measuring elevations of points, lines, and contours. The program allows students to build expertise operating surveying equipment in the field and processing notes and survey data on computers - two common job duties. All students develop the math, drafting, and surveying capabilities needed to excel in the workforce. Associate degree students build a solid educational foundation through courses in general academics such as English, state and local government, and speech communication, in addition to mathematics and surveying courses. The certificate program focuses on specialized surveying topics to allow students to more quickly enter the workforce.

How long will it take to get a degree or certificate?

Most students require two years of full-time study to complete an associate degree. The certificate program can be completed in about a year.

What if I already have a four-year degree?

If you have a bachelor's from an accredited four-year institution, the Texas Board of Professional Land Surveyors requires the completion of 32 additional credit hours in Land Surveying. At ACC, we offer a 32-hour certificate in Land Surveying to meet this eligibility requirement.

Where can I work with this education?

Most land surveyors work for firms associated with the architectural and engineering industries. Other employers include Federal, State, and local governmental agencies. Some of these include highway departments, urban planning agencies, utility providers, the U.S. Geological Survey, the Bureau of Land Management, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the U.S. Forest Service, and the Army Corps of Engineers.

How do I get started at ACC and where can I find out about financial aid?

Visit ACC's future student's page for admissions information. The financial aid page has links for eligibility and applications.

Back to Top
Back to Top

Back to Top