How do I participate in the Honors Program?
Verify you meet the eligibility requirements and submit the program application, which is available online or at the Honors Program office.
What are the eligibility requirements?
To be in the Honors Program at Austin Community College, you must fill out an application and meet ONE of the following criteria:
- Top 10% of high school graduating class.
- Cumulative high school GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- ACT score of 26 or higher.
- SAT score of 1170 or higher (in verbal and math sections).
- Cumulative college GPA of 3.25 or higher, with the completion of nine (9) hours of transferable college coursework.
How do I register for an honors class?
To register for an honors course you must be pre-approved, or “cleared,” for the specific class(es) you want to take prior to registering
- Inform the Honors Program of your selected classes at least one to two business days before you intend to register.
- After having your classes approved by the Honors Program, register and pay as soon as possible. All other ACC registration requirements, rules, and deadlines will apply.
- You must obtain Honors Program approval each semester for every honors course you intend to take. Professor approval is not required.
Why must I be approved before I register?
Honors course registration is restricted to only those students who are admitted to the Honors Program and have received program approval to register for a specific class. You should contact the program office early. Courses are limited to 15 students, and registration approval is given on a first-come, first-served basis.
What can I expect in a typical honors course?
You can expect an engaging and intellectually challenging class in an intimate setting, taught by outstanding faculty who emphasize active learning through in-depth class discussion, projects, research, presentations, or other activities designed to promote scholastic excellence. You can also expect to find a small group of like-minded students that are ready to fully engage in projects and group discussions.
If I don't take an honors class this semester, will I have to reapply?
No. Once you have been accepted to the program, you do NOT need to reapply at any time (even if your GPA declines).
Do honors courses charge higher tuition or annual fees?
No, your ACC tuition covers Honors Program membership. Some classes may charge fees to cover optional field trips. However, nothing outside regular course materials is required.
How do I contact the Honors Program if I have more questions?
You can reach the Honors Program Office any of the following ways:
- In person–Cypress Creek Campus, Bldg. 2000, Room 2204.7