The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) is a state-required assessment test to determine college-readiness in reading, writing, and math. All first-time college students must take the TSI test before enrolling in classes unless you are exempt or complete.
COVID-19 TSI Assessment
In the wake of COVID-19, students will need to complete a proctored exam from home. Please see Steps 1-6 below for details.
- Step 1: Do I need to take the TSI Assessment?
- To ensure you need to do the TSI Assessment, please scroll down the page to view TSI Exemptions. Contact Enrollment Services at email@example.com if you believe you meet the qualifications for the TSI Exemption.
- Step 2: Do I meet the computer system requirements?
Check your Computer Readiness for taking the test.
- Desktop computer or laptop
- NO Cell phones, Tablets, or Androids
- Chromebooks will work BUT you MUST indicate that you will be using a Chromebook
- A working built-in or external webcam and microphone with your laptop or desktop. Cell phones may not be used.
- Internet speed must be at least 2 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload (Hot spots are not recommended)
- Browser with pop-up blocker disabled
- All testing must be done in Chrome or Firefox (The testing service does not support Safari)
Accuplacer System Requirements: Please go to accuplacer.org and scroll to the bottom right to find the black checkmark. Please verify your system requirements by clicking the "verify system".
NOTE* (If you do not meet the computer requirements you will not be eligible to test.)
- Step 3: Do I complete the Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA)?
- If you are an incoming college student in Texas, the State of Texas requires all students to complete a Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA) before taking the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment.
Note: Students who are retesting for the TSI Assessment, are not required to redo the PAA.
- After you have reviewed all sections, you will receive an email of Certificate of Completion. Make sure you save this email for your records as we may require you to show proof of completion.
Click on the following link to begin the PAA - http://sites.austincc.edu/tsiprep/.
- Step 4: How do I pay for the TSI Assessment or see if I can qualify for a fee waiver?
TSI Assessment Fees:
3-parts (Full test includes Reading, Writing/Essay, Math) $29
2-parts (For example: Reading & Writing/Essay or Math & Reading) $20
1-part (For example: Math Only, Reading Only or Writing/Essay Only) $10
To purchase the TSI Assessment go to ACC’s Marketplace. Make sure you save this email for your records as we may require you to show proof of payment.
TSI / ESOL: You may also qualify for a Financial Aid TSI/ESOL fee waiver. Students seeking a TSI/ESOL waiver need to email firstname.lastname@example.org and request that they assess your eligibility for a waiver before paying the TSI/ESOL fee. A financial aid staff member will review the request and email you back. If approved, you will forward this email with all required documents to initiate the testing process.
- If you are a Dual Credit Student, you may be eligible for a TSI fee waiver. Please contact your High School Counselor to see if you qualify before paying the TSI fee.
- College Preparatory Course (H.B. 5)
- If you graduated between 2018 through present and had an overall GPA of 2.75, you may be granted a TSI Waiver, please contact email@example.com
- Step 5: What if I need to test with accommodations?
- If you need accommodations for the TSI Assessment, the Student Accessibility Services (SAS) office can assist you.
Please contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS) before you schedule your TSI Assessment appointment.
Contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS) to get started SAS@austincc.edu
- Step 6: Are you ready to take the TSI?
- Please complete the “TSI Test Request” to test from home.
- The Testing Center will email you within 48 business hours (Monday through Friday), to set up your test with Examity proctoring service or Zoom video chat web service.
- PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR SPAM/JUNK FOLDER FOR ANY ACC CORRESPONDENCE!
General TSI Information
Verify TSI status
Check the list of TSI exemptions and score completions to determine if you have already met TSI requirements in one or more areas (reading, writing, and math) or meet the criteria for an exemption. You must show proof of exemption. You may take your proof of exemption or waiver, if applicable, to any campus Advising Office.
You do not have to take the TSI Assessment if you:
- Graduated college with an associate or bachelor’s degree; or
- Have earned a C or higher in a college-level course at an accredited institution. The course must be equivalent to an ACC course on the approved ACC TSI course list.
- Previously attended college and have been determined to have met college readiness standards by that institution; or
- Are student who is enrolling in a Level 1 certificate program and are taking courses ONLY in the certificate award plan; or
- Are serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and have been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment; or
- On or after August 1, 1990, were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States.
- You have completed the SAT, ACT, or other approved assessment exam with the minimum score needed for TSI exemption.
Test Score Exemptions
The following tests can be used to exempt you from one or more parts of the TSI Assessment. Tests must have been taken within the previous five years.
MINIMUM SCORES ELIGIBLE FOR TSI ASSESSMENT EXEMPTION
||READING & WRITING EXEMPTION
|SAT (March 2016 and later)
||480 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing
|SAT (prior to March 2016)
||1070 Combined with 500 Critical Reading
||1070 Combined with 500 Math
||23 Composite with 19 English
||23 Composite with 19 Math
||2200 ELA (English Language Arts) with 3+ Writing sub-score
||4000 on the English III (EOC)
||4000 on the Algebra II (E0C)
Note: Mixing or combining scores from the SAT administered prior to March 2016 and the SAT administered March 2016 and later, is not allowable.
TSI Complete Scores
You have completed Texas Success Initiative requirements for a subject area if you:
- Earn the minimum score listed in the chart below
State-Approved Minimum Scores to be TSI Complete
*5 or 4/340
|Compass (tested and enrolled before 8/26/13)
||6 or 5/59
|ASSET (tested and enrolled before 8/26/13)
||6 or 5/40
|Accuplacer (tested and enrolled before 8/26/13)
||W-6 or 5/80
|THEA/TASP (between 9/1/95 and 8/26/13)
|THEA/TASP (before 9/1/95)
Note*: A placement score less than 340 and an ABE Diagnostic level of at least 4, and essay score of at least 5.
Request TSI Scores
Complete the Request for TSI Scores if you would like to pull your test scores taken at another HS/college/university.