The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) is a state-required assessment test to determine college-readiness in reading, writing, and math. All entering students must take the TSI test before enrolling in classes unless you are exempt or complete.
IMPORTANT: Beginning January 11, 2021, the TEXAS Higher Education Coordinating Board revised the standards for all TSI testing in the state of Texas. There will be an updated TSIA2 exam which will take the place of the current TSIA exam.
The TSIA2 will have the Reading and Writing combined into one section which will be called the English Language Arts and Reading (ELAR) section. Reading and Writing will no longer be offered as separate tests.
The Mathematics section will remain the same.
All TSIA scores are valid for 5 years from the date that you took the exam.
- Step 1: Do I need to take the TSI Assessment?
- To ensure you need to do the TSI Assessment, please scroll down the page to view TSI Exemptions. Contact your Enrollment Advisor at email@example.com if you believe you meet the qualifications for the TSI Exemption.
- Step 2: Do I complete the Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA)?
- If you are an incoming college student in Texas, the State of Texas requires all students to complete a Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA) before taking the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment.
Note: Students who are retesting for the TSI Assessment, are not required to redo the PAA.
- After you have reviewed all sections, you will receive an email of Certificate of Completion. Make sure you save this email for your records as we may require you to show proof of completion.
Click on the following link to begin the PAA - http://sites.austincc.edu/tsiprep/.
- Step 3: How do I pay for the TSI Assessment or see if I can qualify for a fee waiver?
- To purchase the TSI Assessment go to ACC’s Marketplace. Make sure you save this email for your records as we may require you to show proof of payment.
TSI / ESOL: You may also qualify for a Financial Aid TSI/ESOL fee waiver. Students seeking a TSI/ESOL waiver need to email firstname.lastname@example.org and request that they assess your eligibility for a waiver before paying the TSI/ESOL fee. A financial aid staff member will review the request and email you back. If approved, you will forward this email with all required documents to initiate the testing process.
- Step 4: What if I need to test with accommodations?
- If you need accommodations for the TSI Assessment, the Student Accessibility Services (SAS) office can assist you.
Please contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS) before you schedule your TSI Assessment appointment.
Contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS) to get started SAS@austincc.edu
- Step 5: Are you ready to take the TSIA?
- Campus testing is by appointment only. Please click the schedule link and contact the campus you would like to test: TSI Assessment Schedule
General TSI Information
Verify TSI status
Check the list of TSI exemptions and score completions to determine if you have already met TSI requirements in one or more areas (reading, writing, and math) or meet the criteria for an exemption. You must show proof of exemption. You may take your proof of exemption or waiver, if applicable, to any campus Advising Office.
You do not have to take the TSI Assessment if you:
- Graduated college with an associate or bachelor’s degree; or
- Have earned a C or higher in a college-level course at an accredited institution. The course must be equivalent to an ACC course on the approved ACC TSI course list.
- Have previously attended any accredited Texas public institution of higher education and had been determined by that institution to have met TSI college readiness standards in that specified TSI component area.
- Are enrolling in a Level 1 waived certificate program and are taking courses only in the certificate award plan
- Are serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and have been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment. You are waived from the TSI Assessment.
- Are enrolling in ESOL courses only. ESOL only students are waived from the TSI exam. The waiver is removed after 15-credit hours are earned. ESOL only students should take the ESOL Assessment instead of the TSI Assessment
- On or after August 1, 1990, were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States.
- You have completed the SAT, ACT, GED, HiSET or other approved assessment exam with the minimum score needed for TSI exemption.
Test Score Exemptions
The following tests can be used to exempt you from one or more parts of the TSI Assessment. Tests must have been taken within the previous five years.
MINIMUM SCORES ELIGIBLE FOR TSI ASSESSMENT EXEMPTION
||READING & WRITING EXEMPTION
|SAT (March 2016 and later)
||480 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing
||23 Composite with 19 English
||23 Composite with 19 Math
||2200 ELA (English Language Arts) with 3+ Writing sub-score
||4000 on the English III (EOC)
||4000 on the Algebra II (E0C)
||165 on the Reasoning Through Language Arts (RLA) for the English Language Arts Reading (ELAR) Exemption.
||165 on the Mathermatical Reasoning
||15 on the Reading subtest, a minimum score of 15 on the Writing Subtest with a minimum score of 4 on the essay, for English Language Arts Reading (ELAR) Exemption
||15 on the Mathematics subtest Math Exemption
- Mixing or combining scores from the SAT administered prior to March 2016 and the SAT administered March 2016 and later, is not allowable.
- HiSET will no longer administer tests after 8/31/2021 in Texas. Therefore, any tests taken after the 8/31/2021 test date will not be useable for the TSI exemption.
TSI Complete Scores
The following are the current sets of score ranges. You have completed Texas Success Initiative requirements for a subject area if you earn the minimum score listed in the charts and date ranges below.
State-Approved Minimum Scores to be TSI Complete, effective January 11, 2021
||English, Language Arts & Reading (ELAR)
||945 and an Essay of 5 or more
Less than 945 and a Diagnostic Level of 5 or more and an Essay of 5 or more
Less than 950 and Diagnostic Level of 6
State-Approved Minimum Scores to be TSI Complete for assessment taken prior to January 11, 2021 (good for 5 years from date of exam)
||*5 or 4/340
Note*: A placement score less than 340 and an ABE Diagnostic level of at least 4, and essay score of at least 5.
Request TSI Scores
Complete the Request for TSI Scores if you would like to pull your test scores taken at another HS/college/university.