ACC's Supervisor Certificate Program
The Austin Community College District believes strongly in the importance of the continued professional growth of its employees through professional development activities and opportunities for advancement. The purpose of this program is to train ACC employees with supervisory potential, who have little or limited supervisor experience (less than one year).
Participants will be able to
- Gain insight into their own personal leadership style
- Develop leadership skills
- Apply necessary leadership/management philosophies and principles
- Gather general supervisory skills and information specific to ACC
Please note: Completion of this program does not guarantee career advancement to a supervisory position. This program grants one year supervisory experience to ACC employees with less than the required minimum to advance through a defined career path. This experience will only be valid here at Austin Community College.
- Applications are accepted once a year.
- Applicants will be chosen by committee based on the strength of the program application and its components, demonstrated leadership at ACC, and demonstrated potential and readiness to move into a supervisory position.
- Once accepted into the program, participants will attend a mandatory orientation.
- Individuals make a two year commitment. If the individual does not complete the program, they will need to reapply and repeat the program. Any prior workshops are not applicable.
- Participants will attend monthly full day skill building sessions from October to June of the first year. In order to remain in program, participants must attend 80% of sessions. Only 2 absences are allowed throughout the duration of the program.
- Participants must complete 20 hours of shadowing with up to 2 approved ACC supervisors from October to May of the second year.
- Non Faculty Staffing Table Employee (Instructional Associates not eligible)
- Must have three years of service to ACC by October 2021.
- Must have "effective/highly effective/exceptional" reflected on their PEP during the previous 3 years.
- Participants must meet educational requirement of their identified career path. For information about career paths, go to the Career Connections website.
- Applications will be accepted this year from June 14 to July 30, 2021 at 5 PM.
- Completed and signed application by July 30, 2021 @ 5 PM. All application components must be uploaded to the application form.
- Essay explaining career goals including a detailed explanation as to why you should be accepted into the program and how this program can help you achieve those goals.
- Three letters of recommendation: one from your immediate supervisor, one from a colleague in your current department, and one from an ACC employee that you support or collaborate with.
- Signed Supervisor & Applicant Statement.
- Provide PEP evaluations from the three previous years.
- Current resume
- Applications will be reviewed by committee to select finalists.
Important Dates/Info Sessions
- Info Session: June 2, 2021 from 10-10:30 AM via Zoom
- Info Session: July 16, 2021 from 1-1:30 PM via Zoom
- Info Session: July 27, 2021 from 1-1:30 PM via Zoom
- June 14 to July 30, 2021 @ 5 PM - Applications Accepted
- July 30, 2021 @ 5 PM - Application Deadline
- Late September 2021- Applicants Notified
- October 7, 2021- KICKOFF & Orientation for New Cohort
Please contact Inelia Caimanque, Staff Training Coordinator at Inelia.Caimanque@austincc.edu