College department heads (Record Custodians) have the primary responsibility for the proper and legal management of the records in their custody to ensure they are complete and accessible for the designated retention period.
There are three types of paper records routinely sent to the Records Center.
1. Inactive Records Storage Retention
Inactive records listed on the College Records Control Schedule that have NOT reached their retention date. Records are considered inactive if they are used less than once a month. The Records Center is not to be used for storage of extra copies of documents retained for convenience, magazines, newspapers, books, or other non-record material retained for reference.
2. Records to be Destroyed
3. Confidential Non-record Material: Convenience Copies and Reference Materials that are Confidential
1. Select the Right Storage Box
Please check with the Records Center (223-1170) for availability of recycled boxes. These boxes will be provided at no charge.
2. Pack Your Records
3. Complete the Records Transmittal form (RECE.003), available online. You will need to call the Records Center at 223-1170 to obtain the transmittal number. Include the form in the first box.
4. Complete a Shipping Label for each box. Attach the label in the center of the front of the box.
1. Call the Records Center (223-1170) to schedule a review of the packed records. When needed, Records and Information Management staff will review the packed records prior to scheduling the transfer of records to the Records Center.
2. After receipt of the shipment, Records Center staff will assign a Box Code identification number, record it on the Transmittal form, and return a copy to the originating department. This information will be needed to retrieve records from the Records Center.