Embedded Learning Support Services enhances the learning environment by integrating ACC Embedded Tutors and Academic Coaches directly into select courses. These services provide a supportive, seamless environment for students to understand new or challenging material through the use of innovative learning and study strategies.
Provide knowledge & skills for a specific content area
Example: Daniel has to write a paper for his ENGL 1301 class but needs help with his thesis statement. He meets with a tutor to discuss the components of a strong thesis statement.
Embedded Academic Coaches
Provide effective learning strategies such as: time management, note-taking, test taking & study skills
Example: Luis forgot to prepare for his Math test and received a disappointing grade. He meets with an Academic Coach to work on his time management and organizational skills.
What is Embedded Learning Support Services?
Both Embedded Tutors and Academic Coaches work closely with the instructor for the duration of the course to help students understand course concepts and enhance student engagement. Learn more about their services below.
Note: Embedded Tutors can only support online courses.
- Online Embedded Tutors
- Content specific experts. Subjects include, but are not limited to:
- Sciences such as: Chem, Biol, Physics
- Send reminders about upcoming tests/assignments to the group.
- Conduct online tutoring sessions for students in Upswing.
- Post sample questions/solutions to commonly missed/misunderstood questions.
- Guide students with content specific questions
- Facilitate study groups
What’s An Example?
Example: Daniel has to write a paper for his ENGL 1301 class but needs help with his thesis statement. He meets with a tutor to discuss the components of a strong thesis statement
Learn more about Online Tutoring at ACC
- Online Embedded Academic Coaches
- Experts in:
- Test preparation and test-taking
- Navigating Blackboard
- Time management
- Reading comprehension and concept mastery
- Goal identification and planning
- Motivation and persistence
- Encourage engagement through consistent email communication
- Provide invitations to workshops
- Readily available for individual coaching sessions
- Co-facilitate study groups
What’s an Example?
Luis forgot to prepare for his Math test and received a disappointing grade. He meets with an Academic Coach to work on his time management and organizational skills.
Learn more about Academic Coaching at ACC
Both provide individual synchronous and asynchronous support services.
Best Practices for Faculty
In order to maximize the effectiveness of embedded learning support services, the Embedded Tutor, Academic Coach and Faculty should discuss goals and expectations prior to, and during the course. Communication will be a crucial part of keeping this support team strong and student centered.
Some of the ways faculty engage with their Embedded Tutor and Academic Coach:
- Meet with Embedded Tutor and Academic Coach before class begins and set up a plan -- how often will you communicate? Does the tutor/coach have your permission to send announcements? How can we best support each other?
- Add Blackboard content areas for both the Embedded Tutor and Academic Coach to their Blackboard course menu where students can get contact information and links to schedule an appointment (we’ll provide instructions on how to do so)
- Introduce your Embedded coach and tutor to your synchronous class. This meeting will help develop connection and lay a solid foundation.
- Offer extra credit and/or required points for students to meet with their tutor, academic coach, and/or attend an Academic Coaching workshop
- Encourage students to use their embedded services through emails and class announcements
- Faculty request link: https://instruction.austincc.edu/faculty/embedded-tutor-request/
Best Practices for Students
Students should ask the Embedded Tutor and Academic Coach for academic and coaching support to help them better understand content and meet their instructor’s expectations for assignments.
- Give it a try! Set up an appointment with your Embedded Tutor and Academic Coach early and often to get additional support and questions answered
- Respond to their emails regarding study sessions and or appointment requests
- Didn’t get the grade you were expecting? Reach out early so that you can learn from past tests and prepare for the next one.