Yes, we bought a mall. Austin Community College District is the proud owner of the former Highland Mall, which will be transformed into a state-of-the art center for innovative learning, training excellence, and community engagement.
The ACC Highland project will revitalize an Austin landmark, an area rich in history, with a focus on expanding access to higher education, improving student success, and training an elite workforce to help regional businesses grow.
ACC Highland is the product of collaboration with partners in business and education, neighborhood groups, and community leaders. The project aligns with the City of Austin’s Airport Boulevard initiative and is part of a bigger Highland vision, in partnership with RedLeaf Properties, to create a premier destination for lifelong learning, living, shopping, and entertainment.
Phase I opens fall 2014
Designed to improve and accelerate student success.
- Construction began spring 2013 on the former JC Penney
- Nation’s largest math emporium, a lab for individualized learning
- Instructional spaces
- Science labs, library, tutoring, student commons, and faculty offices
Phase II planning is under way
Designed to respond to rapidly changing training needs and grow strong community partnerships. Considerations for phase II include:
- Regional Workforce Research and Development Center
- Regional health sciences and STEM simulator lab
- Professional incubator space
- Digital/Creative Media Center
- Culinary/Hospitality Center
- Continuing Education classrooms
- Convocation and performance space
- Conference center
- Visit Facilities and Operations for construction updates.
- ACC Highland: Questions and Answers
- Send ACC at Highland Mall updates to my email