Academic Advising

ACC advisors and counselors are dedicated to your college and career success—plan to take advantage of the expertise and help they can provide.

Read below for all the types of advising available to you.

Group planning sessions for new students

If you're new to ACC, you will attend a group planning session (GPS) before you can register for classes. Bring the following with you:

  • ACC 101 checklist (discontinued)
  • Official photo ID.
  • Copies of your high school or college transcripts.

EXCEPTIONS: Don't sign up for GPS if you already have a college degree, have 12 or more college credits and are transferring in good standing, are enrolling through the Early College Start Program, or will be taking ESOL classes. Attend a one-on-one advising session instead.

One-on-one academic advising

Meet with a Student Services advisor or counselor on a walk-in basis. They can assist with:

  • Academic difficulties
  • College skills
  • University transfer preparation
  • Major and career planning

IMPORTANT: If you're a new student, complete a group planning session before you can request a one-on-one advising session.

Other advising

Explore majors and plan for your career

We can help you find a college major and future career that fits your abilities, life goals, and personal traits.

Distance Learning student support

We have specially trained advisors to help Distance Learning students.

Faculty advising specific to your degree and major

ACC professors advise students majoring in their program of study. By contacting your instructional department or division, you can begin receiving expert guidance to select classes, earn your degree, and enter your chosen career field. If you're a general studies major, meet with a Student Services counselor.

Study Abroad

Visit International Programs and schedule an study abroad advising session if you want to travel and learn outside the United States.